If you put in the necessary amount of time and effort, teaching tricks to sun conures and learning how to train sun conures to speak can be a very enjoyable and gratifying experience. Watching your sun conure parrot or any other kind of parrot do the prettiest little bird tricks at will is one of the most satisfying things you can do with your time. I’m sure you’ll agree with me when I say that you, your family, and friends would have a great time if they visited your home and saw your gorgeous little sun conure talking and acting in accordance with your instructions. The sensation that you receive when you hear a tiny little parrot communicate in short phrases or repeated syllables cannot be adequately described with words alone. Because of this, I have devoted a few minutes of each day to instructing and training sun conure birds, and because of this, I want to share with you some of the tactics that I use to train parrots so that you may also learn how to train sun conure birds.
When it comes to instructing and training sun conures, there are a few fundamental criteria to follow. It is essential that you have a solid understanding of these guidelines in order to make the process of training your solar conure much less difficult and more fruitful. It’s possible that you’ve previously heard some of these principles from other sun conure training sources, while others are ones that I’ve come up with on my own during the course of my own experience teaching sun conure parrots. It is important to keep in mind that the following recommendations may be used for either teaching and training sun conures to do tricks or teaching sun conures to converse.
- Keep in mind at all times that teaching and training sun conures should be enjoyable not only for the teacher but also for the trainee, which in this case is your sun conure parrot.
- You must approach the training of your solar conure with enthusiasm, as if you were approaching a joyful privilege (which, in fact, it is), and NOT as if it were a job or a difficult duty.
- The skills you teach your sun conure to execute must be inside his comfort zone so that he may learn them successfully. For instance, if your sun conure is afraid of being in an upside-down position, you shouldn’t try to teach him to hang upside down like a bat.
- When teaching conures, it is important to make use of both physical signals and straightforward spoken orders. Sun conures are highly visual birds that pick up new information very quickly when it is presented to them. They also value having their bodies gently directed in the earliest stages of the process. Don’t discount the importance of the verbal orders that complement the visual clue.
- When your pet sun conure bird complies with your order, give it praise by giving it a verbal salute that is real and passionate. It is essential that you also give them a lovely little treat such as pumpkin seed or a peanut once they have performed the task successfully.
- Training sessions for sun conures should take place in a neutral area that is located a significant distance away from cages as well as other birds and other potential distractions.
- Less is more: go for shorter, more intense workouts rather than longer, more arduous ones. It is far more effective to train solar conures in shorter sessions three times a day for a total of five minutes than one large session lasting fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Keep in mind that you are enjoying yourself while you are training sun conures, so have patience and continue to guide your pet sun conure in a kind manner. You should never yell at or reprimand your conure parrot in any way.
- As a last piece of advice, make it a point to wrap off each of your training sessions for your sun conure on a positive note. This indicates that you should not put an end to the session simply by giving up and ending since your conure was unable to complete the trick. Instead, choose a trick that is less challenging for him to carry out and praise and treat him when he is successful. Both sides will feel satisfied and optimistic about the next meeting as a result of this.
Taking care of and raising a pet sun conure bird is not an exercise in rocket science, but it does need some prior knowledge as well as some information on “how to” procedures. My intention is to impart to you all of the knowledge that I have accumulated over the years as a result of my experience in caring for sun conure birds as pets. Over the course of my life, I have fostered over one hundred different species of parrot, including but not limited to sun conures, quaker parrots, amazons, macaws, and others. Although Quakers and sun conures are both extremely simple pet parrots to grow and keep, I have found that the experience of caring for a sun conure is the one that has provided me with the greatest joy. Now, without further ado, let’s move on to the fundamentals of caring for a sun conure.