Holiday Hazards


INTRODUCTION: During the holiday season, when there are so many more intriguing things to pique the interest of our feathery friends, it is important for us to be mindful of anything that could pose a threat to them.

PLANTS: Firs and pines are the most common types of trees used for Christmas trees. Ingestion of firs has not been linked to any reports of adverse health effects. Pines are not typically thought to be toxic to avian species; nonetheless, there is a danger of physical pain from the sharp pine needles. Pine cones are also not regarded to be toxic to avian species. Because of the toxicity of the mistletoe berry, it is important to keep it out of the reach of birds. Inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract (GI) can be caused by holly berries. Although the poinsettia is not considered to be a particularly hazardous plant, its milky sap has the potential to irritate the digestive tract as well as the eyes to a significant degree.

Angel hair and tinsel are both made of plastic and are used as DECORATIONS. If consumed, there is a risk of obstruction of the gastrointestinal system or the airways, despite the fact that the metallic colour of tinsel is not harmful. Plastic and non-toxic particles can also be found in the snow spray. It is possible that freon is used as the propellant in the aerosol sprays; therefore, these items should not be sprayed in the vicinity of birds. Methylene chloride is an extremely hazardous solvent, and Christmas tree bubbling light fluid contains this substance. Christmas tree bubbling light fluid can cause significant irritation to the eyes and mucous membranes. Flocking for Christmas trees is typically manufactured from wax or plastic, and its potential to induce poisoning is rather unlikely. Salts of heavy metals such as lead, copper, arsenic, barium, and selenium are found in fireplace hues and Yule logs. It is possible to poison yourself with heavy metals if you chew on these logs.

FOOD Do not give your birds any of your alcoholic beverages, chocolate, or salted or caffeinated coffee or meals. Decaffeinated coffee is the only type of coffee that is safe (nuts, potato chips etc.). Have some unsalted nuts available as treats for your birds. Only peanuts that have been roasted and unsalted should be given (risk of aflatoxin poisoning from raw peanuts).

FUMES: Birds are especially vulnerable to the potentially lethal consequences that fumes can have. Teflon-coated cookware should under no circumstances be used in households that also contain birds. Birds have been found dead after being exposed to the chemicals produced by self-cleaning ovens. Smoke from cigarettes can irritate birds’ respiratory tracts and induce allergic skin problems, in addition to the possibility that the birds will overdose on nicotine. When consumed, cigarette butts present a significant risk of poisoning. Smoke from marijuana can produce a significant sedative effect in birds. Stay away from air fresheners and odorizers in the room. Instead of using goods available for purchase, try simmering spices like cloves and cinnamon in water.

AUTHENTIC: Colored metallic gift wrap may contain hazardous compounds; nevertheless, the most significant risk is the possibility of gastrointestinal tract obstruction. Give each of your birds their own gift package, which should be wrapped in plain paper and contain treats for them to discover. You can frequently find packages of silica gel inside of boxes holding new footwear, electrical equipment, and camera accessories. Crystals of silica gel are safe to ingest, although there is a remote chance that they could cause an obstruction in the gastrointestinal track if a large bird were to consume the package.

Take the bird into the bathroom and turn on the shower if it has inhaled anything (steam often helps to minimize upper airway irritation and to help breathing). Eye exposures should be treated by rinsing the eyes with water or artificial tears. Administer an antacid preparation (such as Milk of Magnesia) or an activated charcoal suspension in the case of ingestion (if part of your first aid kit).

After basic lifesaving procedures have been completed, the bird should be placed in a hospital cage, kept warm, and immediate contact should be made with either an avian veterinarian or an animal poison control center for more guidance.

🦜🦜 Click Images Below To Explore More Popular Bird Supplies on Amazon!! 🦜🦜

Recent Posts

Losing track of your pet bird's growth? Check Out Our BEST SELLING Pet Bird Growth Logbook!

You can Sign up for a FREE Instant Download Teaser NOW!